You want to drop some weight, and you’re really determined this time, so you start hitting it hard at the gym, only to find your scale is not budging. What’s going on? The idea that simply stepping up your exercise routine is a sure-fire way to lose weight is a medical myth. There are a few holes in this plan, but they’re easy fixes if you know the truth.
The Rule of 80/20
The most healthy way to lose weight is through a combination of diet and exercise, but this isn’t a 50/50 plan. Losing weight and cutting fat is something that is accomplished mostly in the kitchen, with healthy eating making up 80% of the equation. The other 20% of weight loss is accomplished through exercise, but the majority of body sculpting takes place on this end of the plan.
Boosting Your Appetite
Overdoing it on exercise will often times leave you ravenously hungry after your workout. This will cause you to eat more at meal time, which can easily counteract the extra you burned through exercise. Losing weight is a simple matter of burning more calories than you’re taking in, and moderate exercise is the best way to burn more while keeping your appetite in check. Resist the urge to use exercising as an excuse to take in more calories, and you’ll be on the road to success!
Muscle is More Dense Than Fat
A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same- one pound! Muscles is more dense than fat, however, so a pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle. As you burn the fat off of your body and build muscle, you might see the numbers on the scale stay the same, or even go up. It’s best to judge your progress in how you feel, how you look, and how your clothes are fitting when this is the case.
Start Living the Younger You Today!
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.