Woman poisoned by tainted tea released from hospital

Woman poisoned by tainted tea released from hospital

Almost three weeks after she was poisoned by drinking tainted tea, 67-year-old Jan Harding has been released from the hospital.

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS (ABC 4 Utah) – Almost three weeks after she was poisoned by drinking tainted tea, 67-year-old Jan Harding has been released from the hospital. 

Marissa Villasenor with the University of Utah hospital confirmed to ABC 4 Sunday that Harding was released from the hospital Saturday morning at 10:50. 

It was August 10th when Jim Harding and his wife Jan Harding, 67, stopped into a Dickey's Barbeque Pit in South Jordan for an after church lunch. Jan took a swig of iced tea that had been mixed with fryer cleaner that resembles sugar but actually contains lye. She suffered chemical burns to her mouth, tongue and esophagus and was on a respirator for six days. 

In a press conference held earlier in the week family attorney Paxton Guymon seemed to be preparing for a lawsuit, but the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s office has not yet decided whether to file any criminal charges related in the incident.

“I'm concerned about preserving evidence,” Guymon said. “Making sure that basically the witnesses…we’re getting their testimony. We know the truth of what happened. Not just the day of this incident with Mrs. Harding but what led up to this.”

Earlier in the week Harding's husband spoke of her recovery and expressed gratitude making it clear they have not yet discussed any legal action against Dickey's. 

"I haven't even thought about that," Harding said. "I just want my wife to be OK. That's really all I'm thinking about now."

Last week, Dickey’s released a statement calling Mrs. Harding’s injury an “isolated incident” and saying nothing like this had ever happened in their 73 years of operating.


Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus