57°F
Sponsored by

Woman loses home and 4 dogs in a fire

A Salt Lake County woman lost her home and four dogs after her house went up in flames not once but twice. Firefighters initially responded to the home last night and then were called out again Thursday morning.

SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah (Good 4 Utah) – A Salt Lake County woman lost her home and four dogs after her house went up in flames not once but twice. Firefighters initially responded to the home Wednesday night and then were called out again Thursday morning.

By late Thursday morning all that remains of the home is a pile of rubble after firefighters had to have the home demolished. Unified Fire Authority says they were called out at 4:30 a.m. to 2239 E. Atkin Avenue for a second time and upon arrival the fire was fully involved. Neighbors like Gary Thompson are saddened to hear that their neighbors lost not only her home but her 4 dogs.

“It’s a frightening experience, the devastation of a fire just leaves you sick and it is always something you think, I hope that never happens to me,” said Gary Thompson who lives just houses away from where the fire happened," said Thompson. 

Firefighters say they initially were called out to the home Wednesday night around 6:30. They say the fire was started by an unattended cigarette.

"The biggest issue we had here was there was just a lot of stuff, a lot of clutter in the home," said assistant chief  Marty Slack of Unified Fire Authority. He went on to say, “It was fully involved when we showed up. It doesn't make sense for us to put people at risk and put them inside so we went defensive and fought the fire from the outside,” said Chief Slack.

Unified says the fire appears to be a rekindle after smoldering continued throughout the night, but again putting out the fire proved extremely challenging and dangerous because of the amount of clutter inside of the home.

Thompson and many other neighbors say they are grateful nobody was hurt fighting the difficult blaze. 

“I don't know if they were hoarding stuff or something, but that can certainly be a danger. Sometimes it’s hard to throw stuff away but that does make the fire a problem from being put out," said Thompson.

Unified Fires Authority says the home has over $200,000 worth of damage and it had to be destroyed to avoid the possibility of another rekindle situation.

 

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
local-businesses.png
cars.png dixie-local.jpg

Top Stories

Popular Stories on Facebook