Sponsored by

West Valley man admits to killing 6-month-old baby

WEST VALLEY CITY (ABC 4 News) - Reed Wilcox has admitted to killing his former girlfriends 6-month-old baby back in May.
WEST VALLEY CITY (ABC 4 News) - Reed Wilcox has admitted to killing his former girlfriend's 6-month-old baby back in May.

He was arrested and charged with first degree murder on Friday. 

Wilcox has been under investigation since May 26 when West Valley City police were called to a residence at 4019 S. 4275 W. on a report of an infant with a breathing problem.  When police arrived at the home, the baby was unresponsive.  Despite efforts to revive the baby, physicians were unable to restore neurological function and he was pronounced brain dead.  The infant died a few days later on May 30 at Primary Children's Medical Center. 

According to the affidavit, Wilcox told police he intentionally caused the death of the baby.

Wilcox had been watching the infant while the mother, Tiffany Allen, slept in another room.  Wilcox claims he had laid the baby down on a blanket on the floor for a nap.  However, police say his story changed several times.

Wilcox admitted to detectives that he had researched on the internet about such things as "suffocation", "baby suffocation", "positional asphyxia", "SIDS", "what to do when you are going to be interviewed by police detectives", and "homicide" prior to talking with police.  Wilcox told police he was responsible for the death of the 6-month-old.

In one interview with police, Wilcox stated "I didn't smother him" even though no officer had suggested that.  According to the warrant, Wilcox made statements such as "I can't even forgive myself about this. I haven't been able to sleep through the night and it still affects me every day," "I just thought he was sleeping. … I wasn't checking. I just wasn't checking, detective."

The autopsy conducted verified that the baby died as a result of a severe anoxic event which caused deprivation of oxygen to the baby's brain for a significant period of time.  Dr. Todd Grey, Chief Utah Medical Examiner, conducted the autopsy and said it would have taken from three to five minutes of depriving the baby of oxygen to result in the severe anoxic brain swelling seen in this case.  The baby's death was not a result of SIDS.

Bail for Wilcox has been set at $500,000.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
cars.png dixie-local.jpg

Top Stories

Popular Stories on Facebook