Ogden fire officials say an outside contractor accidentally put about a gallon of chlorine into a drum of sulfuric acid about 11 a.m. Tuesday. Deputy Chief Eric Bauman says emergency workers were worried the drum might explode if it got too hot.
Officials say that when gas began to escape from the container, the drum was put on a truck and driven to another place on campus so authorities could set up a 300-foot perimeter around it.
Crews say they took the temperature of the mixture, monitored the air, and separated the chlorine from the acid. Bauman says the danger had passed by about 12:30 p.m.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)