Gold's revealed the announcement on National Senior Fitness Day, May 28, proving it is never too late to be in the best shape of your life.
Dean Miller participated in the national Gold's Gym 12-week transformation challenge, which began in January. He lost 25 pounds and received first place locally in his age category.
First place winners advanced to the national competition, where he was awarded second place. Miller will receive a portion of the $75,000 combined cash purse prize nationally; prizes were awarded at the local level.
Thousands of people participated in the Gold's Gym Challenge nationally. Northern Utah participants lost a combined 831.2 pounds.
"I did better than I thought I could," said Dean. "I am going to maintain it. I have worked too hard. I enjoy the self-confidence and the feelings that surround being fit are amazing - the way I look, feel and my confidence."
Local winners include:
• Overall local male winner, Brandon Benoit
• Overall local female winner, Kristin Bahney
• 18-29: Andy Valdivia (Ogden)
• 30-39: Brandon Benoit (Roy)
• 40-49: Daren Saunders (Ogden)
• 50-59: Mike Winn (Syracuse)
• 60+: Dean Miller (Roy)
• 18-29: Lauren Smith (Roy)
• 30-39: Racheal Olson (Ogden)
• 40-49: Kristin Bahney (Layton)
• 50-59: Tracy Johnson-Faulkner (Roy)
• 60+: Kathy Stoker (Layton)
The Gold's Gym 2013 Challenge is a 12-week body transformation contest designed to motivate new and existing Gold's Gym members to make significant lifestyle changes through proper fitness and nutrition. To enter participants signed up for the 12-week program in their age category -18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and 60+. Before-and-after photos and measurements of each entrant were taken.