Before parents leave, babysitters learn of any concerns so that the babysitter feels comfortable as the parents leave.
After the parents leave, immediately taking the following steps will help ensure a safe environment in the home:
- Walk through the house and look for hazards that would be dangerous for children, such as matches, lighter fluid, electric chords, plastic bags or medication.
- Perform a mental fire drill to the best way to exit the home (You should always know two ways out of every room)
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked (and lock the door after parents leave)
There are several things babysitters should keep in mind throughout the duration of their stay, such as:
- When the kids are asleep, the babysitter should check on them every 15-30 minutes
- The babysitter should not open the door for anyone they don’t know
- In the event of an emergency, the babysitter should call 911, identify himself/herself by name, give the accurate address, tell the dispatcher they are babysitting and explain the situation
For more information on this week's tip or to read previous tips click here.