Several weeks ago, Jaret Miranda lined up for lunch and settled into a seat inside Lincoln Elementary School's cafeteria.
"That's when I started choking," he said.
A piece of chicken was lodged in his throat.
"I couldn't breath," Jaret said. "My face was turning all red."
For that reason several students started to panic and Jaret scrambled to get help.
"I felt kinda scared cause I thought I was gonna die," he said.
Then, another student, sixth grader Guillermo Vargas saw the commotion. "Everybody, they didn't do nothing," he said. "They were just pointing at him and pointing at the teacher.
So he sprang into action.
"I went up to his back and I just started patting his back hard," Guillermo said.
He told ABC4 Utah it was a trick he learned at home.
"Sometimes when I'm at home and I'm choking, my mom just hits me in the back and it comes back up," he said.
The technique worked on Jaret. But as soon as the food was dislodged Jaret turned to face his hero, only to find he was gone. Today, for the first time, he expressed his gratitude to Guillermo.
"Thanks for saving me," he said.
Meanwhile Guillermo said he felt glad about doing good. "It feels good cause you actually help someone," he said.
The boys told ABC4 Utah that they hadn't even spoken to each other before today. Now, they expect to be friends to one another if ever they are in need.