The American Red Cross has launched a new national campaign to reduce the drowning rate by 50 percent in 50 cities over the next three days. Red Cross Director of Communications Rich Woodruff shares more on how to be safe.
5 basic skills proficient swimmers need:
- Step or jump into the water over your head
- Return to the surface and float or tread water for one minute
- Turn around in a full circle and find an exit
- Swim 25 yards to the exit
- Exit from the water. If in a pool, you must be able to exit without using the ladder.