FRIDAY, Utah (Good4Utah)- What are you having for lunch on Sunday? Maybe you should add some watermelon to your dish-after all, it is National Watermelon Day! Don't know what to make? Don't worry, we've got you covered. Harmons joined us in studio today to show us how to make a couple of sweet and savory dishes. Chef Kimberly Larsen showed us how to make a Cilantro Lime Crab Salad with Grilled Watermelon, and she also showed us how to make a Strawberry Dessert Salsa. Not sure how to pick out the perfect watermelon? Brady Harmon says it's easy...just do the "thump test." Watch the video to find out his other secrets on how to pick the perfect watermelon. The recipes for you to enjoy are below.
Cilantro Lime Crab Salad and Grilled Watermelon:
1/4 cup granny smith apple, very small dice
1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 limes, juice and zest
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon mint, minced
Sea salt and fresh pepper
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat,
6 watermelon slices, grilled then rinds removed
9 ounces cabbage, shredded
3 tablespoons light olive oil
1 lime, juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1. In medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients except crab.
2. Mix and allow flavors to release. Fold in crab meat.
3. Grill watermelon quickly on hot grill. Remove green rind.
4. Toss cabbage with olive oil, lime juice and cayenne.
5. Place cabbage in center of plate.
6. Place a slice of watermelon on cabbage.
7. Scoop crab salad over watermelon and serve immediately.
Watermelon Strawberry Dessert Salsa:
2 cups watermelon, small dice
1 cup strawberries, small dice
1/2 cup blueberries, cut in half
1 tablespoon honey wine vinegar
1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1-2 teaspoons mint, minced
1. In small bowl combine vinegars, mint and vanilla bean paste.
2. In large bowl combined watermelon, strawberries and blueberries.
3. Pour vinegar mixture over fruit and lightly toss.
4. Serve with cinnamon chips or over favorite ice cream.
Watermelon Poblano Pico
2 cups heirloom tomato, small dice
1 cup watermelon, small dice
1/2 cup poblano pepper, seeds removed, very small dice
1/2 cup red onion, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, minced
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1-3 limes, juice
Sea salt and fresh pepper
1.Combined all ingredients in large bowl.
2.Toss and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
3.Serve with favorite fish or chicken, over spring greens or with favorite corn chips.