Mom saves children from house fire in Sandy

Mom saves children from house fire in Sandy

Joanna had just finished bathing her 5 month old when she saw smoke billowing and knew she had to get out.
Sandy, UT (ABC 4 News) - Fire spread fast Saturday evening in a duplex shared by two families.

"I didn't have time to grab anything, I took my kids and left,” said mother, Joanna Eresuma, who got her children out safely.

Another woman and her husband escaped, but the man went back inside to get his dog. He suffered 3rd degree burns on his back and was flown to the University Burn Center.

"Our neighbors knocked on our door and asked if I had a fire extinguisher. I closed the door, because no one was there, I guess they had rushed back inside their home, opened the door, and there's smoke billowing out of their side and my neighbors out in the snow with burns on his back," explained Joanna.

“It would have been a tragedy if he would have gotten trapped in there," said Bruce Cline, Deputy Chief with the Sandy Fire Department who said no one should go back into a burning house.

Joanna had just finished bathing her 5 month old when she saw smoke billowing and knew she had to get out.

"We just don't have anything. Although our neighbors got it a lot worse than we do, so it's a miracle that not everything's gone, but I just ...We don't have anything. My wedding ring was inside, our chargers for our phones are inside, my medications inside, like, I just don't know what's gone … I’m just glad my kids are OK. “

The dog the man went back inside to save is safe.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus