"The crews were able to get the line shut off so we don’t have any gas flowing anymore,” said Deputy Chief Derek Maxfield with the Sandy City Fire Department.
Sandy Fire and Questar Gas said the leak caused four residents to evacuate, over 10 businesses to be closed and multiple road closures. There was also an added danger from gas going into the sewer system.
"There will be some lane closures I'm sure throughout the day as the crews work to fix that pipe,” said Deputy Chief Maxfield.
Questar Gas told Good 4 Utah the biggest challenge was getting through the asphalt and concrete to reach the pipe that was ruptured during excavation.
"With summer coming, anytime that you’re going to be doing any type of excavation call Blue Stakes,” said Chad Lewis with Questar Gas. He goes on to say “ Credit to the Fire Dept here as far as the help and getting the lanes closed down and making it a safe environment and taking any chance of ignition away, awesome.”
Luckily nobody was hurt during the gas leak. Questar Gas tells Good 4 Utah although there was a smell of natural gas in the area, it is not toxic. However, 911 should always be called.