Firefighters say one of the fireworks tipped over and started the dry grass on fire.
The friends did the right thing and called 9-1-1 right away, so crews were there within minutes.
It still took about a half hour to get the fire out.
Still firefighters say they could have been a bit more prepared.
“It did appear that they had a big gulp cup, that they dumped, but that's not going to make a lot of difference in this situation,” said Bob Fitzgerald, West Valley City Fire Marshal.
Firefighters remind people who will be lighting fireworks Thursday night to have a bucket of water, or a hose ready in the case fireworks get out of hand.
About two acres of land burned in this fire.