80°F
Sponsored by

Fire destroys Layton home under construction

LAYTON, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) -- Firefighters are calling an unfinished Layton home a total loss after an early morning fire Saturday.
LAYTON, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) -- Firefighters are calling an unfinished Layton home a total loss after an early morning fire Saturday.

According to the Layton City Fire Department, the uninhabited structure at 432 N. 3475 West caught fire at around 2 a.m. By the time crews arrived, flames could be seen shooting through the roof. Firefighters had to attack the fire using aerial master streams that shot about 350 gallons of water per minute.

Meanwhile, the cold conditions outside caused an extra hazard of ice quickly forming around the scene, so a snowplow with sand and salt was also called in to assist. After about 50 minutes, the fire was under control, but the home appeared to be a total loss with damage estimated at $200,000 or more, according to Layton Fire Public Information Officer Doug Bitton. Crews from Syracuse and Sunset fire departments also assisted.

Since the home was still under construction, no one was inside at the time. Fire investigators are looking into the portable heaters on the construction site being a possible cause. A burned propane cylinder also was found in a neighboring yard.

"Portable heaters in cold conditions can be a serious fire risk," Bitton said in a statement. He added that portable heaters should be plugged directly into wall outlets -- not through extension cords -- and that they should be kept at least three feet away from drapes, bedding, paper or anything else that could catch fire.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
local-businesses.png
cars.png dixie-local.jpg
Click Here for Your Chance to Win Utah State Fair Tickets!

Popular Stories on Facebook