LAS VEGAS (ABC4 Utah)- Two students in the health program at Southern Utah University are facing potential health concerns after a possible mishap with a needle during a free clinic in Las Vegas.
During Fall Break at the university, several students with the Rural Health Scholars club went to Las Vegas for a "cultural immersion trip". According to the school's website, during these trips, "the group works with different non-profit organizations to provide student opportunities to conduct health screenings, shadow healthcare providers, and provide volunteer services."
In this particular case, the students were performing glucose screenings using a lancet device at the Salvation Army. The university says, a "concern involving a finger prick with a lancet, may have involved up to four screening participants."
SUU says the student notified their supervisor and those at the university.
"As soon as SUU became aware of the report, the University immediately took aggressive precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of its students and the individuals participating in the health screenings, including testing and preventive medical treatment," a statement from the university said.
The university say they have been working with the Las Vegas Salvation Army to identify and notify participants.
“The health and safety of our students and screening participants is our highest priority,” stated Scott L Wyatt, President of SUU.
Watch video statement from President of SUU
The university says results from the tests will not come back for several months.
See the full release from SUU here.
HURRICANE (News4Utah)- A 25-year-old mechanic is dead after an…
SALT LAKE CITY (News4Utah) - John Coltharp was offering a 4-year-old…
PANGUITCH (News4Utah)- A man is behind bars after police say he…