Juvenile charged with bringing bomb to school

ST. GEORGE, Utah (News4Utah - Students went back to class at Pine View High School in St. George Tuesday after the school was evacuated Monday after a bomb was found inside the school.

The suspect is now linked to another crime at another high school. A juvenile is in custody and police say after a search of the boys home, they discovered that he was researching ISIS propaganda online.

"It was really scary," said Pine View High School senior Olivia Jones, who was one of the students evacuated. "I saw cops coming from one side and then another side, and grabbed this kid that was literally five feet away from me and they were kind of like aggressive with him, and and brought him to the top of the stadium and patted him down and searched him and he ended up being the suspect," said Jones.

"It was an explosive device that was homemade. And the purpose of that device was to cause severe injury, potentially death, and damage," said Lona Trombley, Public Information Officer with St. George Police.

Police say that explosive was purposefully left inside a common area at Pine View High School by the suspect.

"He was in my seminary class. He was super quiet ... He kind of kept to himself. My seminary teacher was saying that before they had been evacuated he had been hysterically laughing which was out of the ordinary for him," said Jones.

After St. George police interviewed the boy who took classes at Pineview High, Hurricane police were called.

"Our investigators went to work and they assisted in serving a search warrant at his residence here in Hurricane and the results of that search warrant were items related to the flag incident were seized from the home," said Officer Ken Thompson with Hurricane City Police Department.

That flag incident happened February 15. Police say Hurricane High School's US flag was taken down and replaced with an ISIS Flag, and the school was spray painted.

"Spray painted 'ISIS is comi' on the side of the building," said Thompson. "This is the first time that something like this has ever happened in our community and it's a huge relief. People are relieved and glad that it's been solved," said Thompson.

Police say it was students who noticed smoke coming from the backpack and alerted faculty.

The suspect has been charged with manufacturing and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. More charges are pending from Hurricane City Police Department.

More Stories

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center