It’s time to get out your supplies and start building birdhouses. Entries are due March 24-29 at the Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th St., Ogden. There is no entry fee. This year, entries will be divided by adults, children (unassisted) and team/family groups. A select jury of professional artists and bird experts will judge the competition and choose winners in several categories such as “best use of materials,” “most imaginative,” “best use of recycled/natural materials,” and “best form/function.” Birdhouses selected for the exhibit will be installed and displayed April 10 through August 31. Winners will receive cash prizes at an awards presentation on Wednesday, April 9 at 5:30 pm in the L.S. Peery Education Building at the Ogden Nature Center.
All types of birdhouses are welcome: whimsical, beautiful, practical, functional, artistic or magical – but they all need to be sturdy! All ages are welcome to enter up to two creations. Working as a family or as a team, i.e., grandfather/grandson, etc., is acceptable and encouraged!
A helpful guide of dimension preferences for certain bird species can be found on the Nature Center’s website at: Ogden Nature Center.
• All birdhouses must be original works created by the exhibitor. Commercially produced birdhouses or assembled kits will not be accepted.
• Size limitations: The base of the birdhouse may not exceed 24" square. The height of the actual birdhouse (not including the post) may not exceed 36" tall.
• All birdhouses must be freestanding on their own post and ready for installation outdoors. Birdhouses that are not freestanding will not be accepted for the exhibit. You must perch your birdhouse atop a sturdy post or attach a strong hanger. Posts will be installed at a depth of 1-2 feet.
• The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. Please, no propane tanks this year.
• Please build sturdy birdhouses. Birdhouses need to last through all seasons outdoors.
• The judges will select which birdhouses are accepted into the 2014 exhibit. A limited number of entries will be accepted for the exhibit.
• The Ogden Nature Center reserves the right to refuse submissions.
This exhibit would not be possible without its sponsors: the Utah Arts Council and the National Endowment for the Arts, Jack & Jodi Livingood, Shepherd's Bush, Pat & Glen Richter, Wasatch Audubon Society, Booth Dental Clinic and Robin & Brad Farr Family, Wild Bird Center of Layton, Jeremiah's Restaurant and Ogden Blue.
For more information, please call the Ogden Nature Center at 801-621-7595 or visit: Ogden Nature Center.
###Press Release from Ogden Nature Center.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.