4-year-old Rebecca Toone and her sister, 15-month-old Rachel Toone died after becoming ill at their family's home in Layton in early February.
Layton City Attorney Troy Rawlings confirmed that his office had received the report, and that he will screen the case for possible charges.
A Layton Police Department official released a statement indicating that the medical examiner's report found that the Toone sisters "...had elevated phosphorous levels and lung damage consistent with inhaling a harmful substance."
Also on Wednesday, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced new restrictions on Phosphine pesticides, the same chemical used by a contractor for Bugman Pest and Lawn Inc. at the Toone home just prior to the sisters' deaths.
The EPA will require new restrictions on the use of Phosphine in residential areas.
Stay tuned to ABC 4 News and ABC4.com for more on this story.
Toone Family Statement
Recent EPA regulation changes, and documents filed by the Utah State Medical Examiner have renewed public interest in the case of our daughters, Rebecca and Rachel.
We have confidence in our country's legal system and in the abilities of those responsible for interpreting, updating and enforcing the laws of the land. We intend to fully cooperate with authorities who are seeking a resolution to the situation.
We also applaud any efforts by government officials to continually seek to improve the safety of our community.
Beyond this statement, we do not wish to comment on any aspect of the investigation or legal proceedings.
Nathan and Brenda