Firefighters say one of the fireworks tipped over and started the dry grass on fire.
The friends did the right thing and called 9-1-1 right away, so crews were there within minutes.
It still took about a half hour to get the fire out.
Still firefighters say they could have been a bit more prepared.
“It did appear that they had a big gulp cup, that they dumped, but that's not going to make a lot of difference in this situation,” said Bob Fitzgerald, West Valley City Fire Marshal.
Firefighters remind people who will be lighting fireworks Thursday night to have a bucket of water, or a hose ready in the case fireworks get out of hand.
About two acres of land burned in this fire.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.