2 suspects in an armed robbery at a Kmart Friday now in custody after violent police chases

TAYLORSVILLE (ABC 4 UTAH) - Four suspects are now recovering in the hospital from a violent week in West Valley.

Two of the suspects taken into custody were involved in an armed robbery last Friday at a West Valley City Kmart.

One of the suspects was injured in a crash on Tuesday night in an accident. The other one was injured in a gunfight with police that ended Thursday morning.

That chase started out in Salt Lake City when officers with the West Valley City Police Department were doing surveillance on a suspect they believed to be involved in a Kmart robbery.  That suspect, a 31-year-old man, got agitated. He got in a car with a 19-year-old woman and drove off. 

Police followed the duo from Salt Lake City to West Valley City into Kearns, where shots were fired on police before ending in Taylorsville.

"We are looking at the path of the pursuit because as I mentioned there was gunfire during the course of it," said Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder. 

Most residents woke up after midnight to police sirens.

Jackie Brooks was outside playing cards when the chase ended in her neighborhood.

"[There were] like 10-15 shots in a row and yelling and screaming. We just hit the ground," said Brooks.

Police used spikes to stop the car.

"The suspects exited and a gun fight ensued," said the Sheriff.

At lease two officers, one from West Valley City one from Unified Police Department opened fire on a man and woman that had been shooting at police in a Bonnie and Clyde fashion.

"These suspects were hell bent for leather as they continued on their way," the sheriff added.

"The kmart robbery was pretty brazen. It put a lot of people in danger," said Detective Ken Hansen with the Unified Police Department.

Both suspects opened fire in that Kmart. The first suspect was caught on Tuesday. He and a woman were in a chase from Utah County to West Valley City on Redwood road. That chase ended in a car accident.

"It is unfortunate that on Tuesday evening we had this pursuit and that fleeing vehicle strikes an innocent family as they were moving through the intersection," said West Valley City Police Chief Lee Russo.

That family suffered mostly minor injures though a 10-year-old child now has a broken hip.

The 31-year-old man shot by police today is in critical condition. 

The 19-year-old woman ran from the scene. K-9 units were used to track her down.

"She was recovered hiding in the community college," said Sheriff Winder.

She was also shot but it is unclear to police if it was a self-inflicted wound.

"Both of them, the one from Tuesday evening had a loaded firearm and obviously the one from last night the individual we contacted had a loaded firearm and engaged police with shots fired," said Chief Russo.

Both of these men have a serious criminal back ground and may be linked to more armed robberies in Utah and Salt Lake counties

Police have not released the name of any of the suspects because of the multiple jurisdiction investigation.

Both officers involved in Thursday's shooting were  experienced veteran officers. They are both on administrative leave pending this investigation. 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center