Dea Millerberg sentenced to prison in connection to 16-year-old babysitter's death

By Kimberly Nelson

Published 08/21 2014 05:31PM

Updated 08/21 2014 05:52PM

OGDEN, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) - Nearly three years after she helped dump the body of her 16-year-old babysitter, Dea Millerberg is sent to prison. Thursday, Millerberg was sentenced to up to five years in prison in connection with the death of Alexis Rasmussen.


On September 10th, 2011 Dea Millerberg said her husband Eric Millerberg shot up their 16-year-old babysitter Alexis Rasmussen with speed and heroin. That night Alexis died, and in a panic, the two dumped her body in Morgan County.


In court Thursday Millerberg apologized to Alexis’ mother. "I am appalled and disgusted by what I’ve done,” said Millerberg. “I've hurt your family in a way I can't fix."   


38 days after Rasmussen went missing police found her badly decomposed body in a shallow grave in Morgan County.


Millerberg said, "I have no way to express the magnitude of grief that I feel for Alexis’ family for what I’ve done, but I take responsibility."


After police found Rasmussen's body, Dea confessed and she was later granted immunity for testifying against her husband.  


Rasmussen’s mother also spoke before the court Thursday. Dawn Miera said, "I just want Dea to know that I am thankful to her that I know what happened to my daughter, although sometimes I do question about her motives about why she came forward."


The defense hoped that Dea's cooperation would mean that she wouldn't serve time in prison for the charges of obstruction of justice charge, desecration of a human body and an unrelated prescription drug charge, but the judge disagreed.


“How many times do I give her credit for her cooperation?” asked Judge Brent West.


West said Dea already got what he called her “rewards,” pointing out that she was out on bail, she was allowed to move to Wyoming and she wasn’t charged with the crimes she admitted to.


Judge West sentenced Dea Millerberg to three terms of up to five years in prison to be served concurrently, although he told the court had it not been for the plea agreement he would have ordered a prison sentence of up to 10 years for the crimes.


After the sentence was read Rasmussen’s mother spoke to ABC 4 Utah. Miera said, “I'm just glad it's over and I feel it's pretty fair and I’m just hoping that this will bring my family a little bit of closure and it won't be hanging over our heads anymore."

Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sponsored by:

Featured Coupon


Featured Business