3/14/2018 - SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (News4Utah) Speculation continues over the firing of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Greg Jackson, our security expert from Utah Valley University, joined Emily Clark, to weigh in on what this change at such a high level means for the U.S.
Tuesday, President Trump made it known that he is terminating Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State. The President intends to nominate CIA Director Mike Pompeo as Mr. Tillerson's replacement. The decision stems from a difference of opinion between President Trump and Mr. Tillerson on several aspects of foreign policy. Some examples include:
- Mr. Tillerson's support for keeping the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, which the President has referred to as an "embarrassment."
- Mr. Tillerson and President Trump disagree on how to approach North Korea. Mr. Tillerson has been continuously supportive of talks with Kim Jong Un's regime. President Trump has typically maintained a more hawkish approach.
- Mr. Tillerson recently blamed Russia for poisoning an ex-Russian spy in London; President Trump has not done so.
- President Trump wants to move the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem with haste; Mr. Tillerson has dragged his feet on this issue.
- Mr. Tillerson wants the United States to stay in the Paris climate agreement; Mr. Trump stands by the decision to withdraw the country from it.
Jackson says another notable change is that President Trump is nominating CIA Deputy Director Gina Haspel to replace Mike Pompeo as the head of the CIA. If she is confirmed, Ms. Haspel will become the first woman to fill this role.
For more information on Integrated Studies at Utah Valley University, visit UVU.edu/IS.
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (News4Utah) – Salt Lake police asked some…
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Utah) - 31-year old Tracy Ann Lewis disappeared…