SOUTH JORDAN, Utah (ABC4 Utah)- Rio Tinto Kennecott announced Wednesday one of their employees has passed away after being exposed to a toxic gas.
The company says on Sunday, October 8th, the employee was "performing regular work duties to remove debris from a boiler," when they were exposed to sulfur dioxide gases.
They say that employee was treated onsite and then taken to a local hospital, but they died Tuesday night. According to the EPA, sulfur dioxide results from the burning of sulfur or materials containing sulfur and is harmful to human health.
“We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our hearts go out to our colleague’s family at this difficult time. We have lost a valuable employee and dear friend, and this incident will have a lasting impact on all of us," Kennecott Managing Director Marc Cameron said.
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 Utah) – The Twilight Concert is gone… at…
SPRINGVILLE (ABC4 Utah News) - Oh deer. Has Springville got 'em - the…
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 Utah) - Salt Lake City is experiencing a…