One Dead Following Officer Involved Shooting in Ogden

Police: Suspect displayed a handgun and swung it towards the officers

OGDEN, Utah (ABC4 News) - One suspect is dead another is in custody after a police-shooting in Ogden.

This happened shortly before midnight Tuesday night at the parking structure at the Junction near 23rd Street and Kiesel Avenue.

"It's a very unfortunate circumstance and it’s unfortunate that he took the actions that he did," said Ogden City Police Chief Randy Watt. 

In his first press conference since taking office as the new head of the Ogden City Police Department.  Chief Watt addressed the media providing details on the circumstances the fatal shooting of a suspect by his officers.

Wednesday morning, Chief Watt identified the suspect as 25 year-old Bartolo Justice Sabrano.  According to police, he was a known gang member and had a long criminal history.

At the time that that last night's incident occurred he was wanted on felony warrants for crimes of violence, he has a known violent history here in Ogden as well as some outstanding warrants in Idaho," said Watt.

Ogden City Deputy Chief of Police Eric Young said an officer was patrolling the parking structure when he came across two suspects in hoodies.  The two were attempting to break into unattended vehicles.

"It appears they had been prowling vehicles in the terrace," says Young.

Young says the two suspects fled in opposite directions.  The officer radioed in for help. Responding officers encountered one of the suspects.  Chief Watt added that the officers who responded were part of their Crime Reduction Unit.

One suspect was running towards the officers as they were running around the corner he displayed a handgun swung it towards the officers, pointed it towards the officers, two of the officers fired at the suspect several times hitting him and killing him," said  Young.  

Chief Watt adding, "the officers in accordance with policy utilized deadly force to neutralize the threat to themselves and to citizens."

Police say Sambrano was wanted on warrants for walking away from the work release program while in custody. 

"He was in custody at the Weber County Jail for unlawful possession of a firearm, giving false identity to police officers, unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon— a firearm, and failure to stop at the command of an officer," said Watt.

The second suspect was taken into custody peacefully after the incident, he was identified as 20 year-old Zachary Scott Clark.  He was arrested for multiple charges but later released because police did not have enough evidence to keep him in custody. 

The two officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation which will now be turned over to the Weber County Attorney’s Office to ensure a fair and impartial investigation, said Young. 

Police believe the two men were involved in an home robbery on February 15th, on the 3000 block of Porter Avenue in Ogden.  That case is still being investigated and Clark is being looked at in that case.  

Young also said Ogden City Police Officers have just recently been equipped with body cameras and both officers had theirs on them.  He expects the video to be released to the Weber County Attorney’s Office as part of the investigation.  

Young asked that the public keep the two officers in their prayers as well as the family of the suspect during this traumatic moment.

He also extended his thanks to the agencies working on the case who responded quickly to help keep the public safe.  

"We want to thank our offices its a difficult situation for everybody involved and we just want to let the public know they did a good job at keeping them safe tonight," said Young.  

More Stories

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center