Health officials expand hepatitis A outbreak to Spanish Fork food pantry

UTAH COUNTY (News4Utah)- Officials with the Utah County Health Department have added a food pantry in Spanish Fork to their list of possible establishments with hepatitis A exposure.

They say anyone who visited Tabitha's Way Local Food Pantry South County at 140 North Main Street between Thursday, December 28th and Wednesday, January 3rd may have been exposed.

The health department says the food pantry accepted donations from the Olive Garden with the infected employee reported earlier this week.

They say those who received non-canned food from the pantry during these specific dates should visit to see if they need to receive a vaccination. 

“At this point we have plenty of Hepatitis A vaccine here at the health department,” says Ralph Clegg, UCHD Executive Director. “We are doing are best to plan ahead and don’t anticipate any issues at this point.”

Those with insurance can check with their health care providers for vaccine availability. 

However, Olive Garden says people should have nothing to worry about if they ate the food donated to Tabitha's Way.

Hunter Robinson, Communications Director with Olive Garden, told News4Utah the team member who was infected worked in the front of the restaurant and absolutely did not come in contact with any of the food donated.

Robinson explained the restaurant only donates untouched and unused food.

Anything that has been opened or served to the public is thrown away. It is in Robinson's opinion that there was a zero percent chance that the donated food was contaminated by the infected employee.

The Spanish Fork restaurant is operating normally. They have been cleared by the health department and the public should not be worried about eating there.

Here is a list of dates and locations of other possible exposures:

Customers who used the restroom or ate at any of these facilities should visit to determine their risk, or call 801-851-HEPA (4372). Call 385-468-4636 if you believe you might have been exposed at the 7-Eleven.


More Stories

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center