Chef Johnny McAdams and Chef Corinne Harmon stopped by Good Morning Utah to show us some delicious ideas for the perfect picnic.
Cherry Angel Food Cake
1 ¼ C. cake flour
1 ¾ sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ C. egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, add cream of tartar, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Gently combine the egg whites with the dry ingredients, and then pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Place cake pan in a cold oven.
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook for 1 hour, or until cake is golden brown.
- Invert cake, and allow it to cool in the pan.
- When thoroughly cooled, remove from pan.
Cherry Topping Ingredients:
1 C. sugar
1 C. water
½ Tbs. vanilla bean
¼ tsp. almond extract
1 lbs. fresh cherries (pitted)
- In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, water, vanilla and almond extract.
- Allow the liquid to boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the cherries.
- Cook for 35 to 45 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Generously top cake with cherries and enjoy!
Chicken Salad Sandwich
3 chicken breast (cooked and small diced)
1 C. plain Greek yogurt
1 C. red grapes (cut in half)
3 celery stocks (small dice)
¼ C. honey
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 F or 13 to 15 minutes at 375 F.
- Allow the chicken to cool, cut into small diced pieces.
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the celery and red grapes then add to the chicken.
- Finish the salad with the remaining items and mix.
- Allow the salad to rest in the fridge covered with clear wrap for 40 to 45 minutes before serving.
- Use your favorite roll or bread.
- Top the sandwich with some lettuce, tomato and cheese (optional)
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.