Authorities still have not learned motive for man's threats at incinerator plant

Unidentified man shot and killed by police

SPANISH FORK, Utah (ABC4 Utah) - Authorities still don't know the motive of a man shot Sunday at a hazardous waste site in Tooele County.

The unidentified man died after officer shot him multiple times outside the Clean Harbors Incineration Facility.   Authorities said the man threatened to blow up the facility.

The Clean Harbors incineration Facility is about 35 miles west of Grantsville near I-80.  The Utah County Sheriff's Office is investigating the officer involved shooting incident.

 A spokesman for the sheriff's office  which is investigating said the man has a history of mental illness and don't know what he was doing there.  They said he is not an employee at the facility.  Sgt. Spencer Cannon said employees saw the man parked outside the entrance to the facility.

"A couple of employees approached this individual and asked him if he was okay and he responded that he was," said Sgt. Cannon.

He said as other employees were arriving the man followed those cars through the gates.

"A couple of them saw him and realized he didn't belong and they told him he would have to leave," said Sgt. Cannon.

That's when things started to escalate according to the sheriff's office. He said the man threatened to blow up the facility and got into a physical confrontation with employees and contractors who were also in the parking lot.

"The backed away and he raised his arms and as he did they could see he was wearing a knife in a sheath and a handgun in a holster on his hip," said Sgt. Spencer.

He said they called 911 and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper and a deputy with the Tooele County Sheriff's office arrived.

"When they arrived they gave several commands to the suspect to back away, to drop the weapon or get away from it," said Sgt. Cannon.  "He did not comply with those orders and when shots were fired at him the officers were about were about 160 feet away from him."

A spokesman for Clean Harbors said none of their employees were injured and again confirmed the individual shot and killed  by police was not an employee.

"Our safety protocols were implemented immediately," said David Proud, a spokesman for the company.  "The facility was put under lockdown and subsequently evacuated after police cleared the plant.  We’ve determined the deceased was not a Clean Harbors employee and, to the best of our knowledge, did not have any connection to our company."

More Stories

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center