Replace old, outdated or dangerous cords, update with new shades and some clear glass crystals. Like many old things, they need a facelift.
- Lamp that needs updating 8 foot cord set (color that matches project)
- Threading socket (medium base)
- 15 mm gauge silver plated jump rings
- 3 inch silver plated head pins
- 63mm glass icicle crystals
- Flat head screw driver
- Needle nose pliers
- Round nose pliers (jewelry making)
- Rag and cleaning spray
- Unplug the lamp.
- Remove light socket.
- Most will pop off - mine screwed off, turning to the left.
- I also had to remove the switch.
- Remove the protective cardboard sleeve to expose the wires.
- Clean the lamp.
- Unscrew both wires.
- Notice one screw is brass and one is silver.
- Pull cord through lamp.
- Thread new cord back through lamp.
- Follow manufacturer’s instruction to rewire, making sure you attach the proper wire to the brass and silver screws. (Grooved wire goes with silver, smooth wire goes with brass)
- Replace cardboard sleeve and light socket.
- Remove attachment hardware from crystals and add silver plated jump rings. I did this step because I felt the attachment pieces looked flimsy.
- Add crystals to lamp. I used a technique called “pinning” because that is how the original crystals were attached.
- Add globe, I had to add the threading socket to the inside of my globe to keep it in place.
Follow Amber Packer on Facebook.