- 8 cups 1-1/4 inch chunks (or rounds with a melon baller) seedless watermelon (about 6 pounds)
- 3 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes in assorted colors, cored, cut into 1-1/4 inch chances (about 6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fleur de del of course kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped assorted fresh herbs of your choice (best fresh from the garden -- I use basil, mint and chives)
- 1 cup feta cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp flour de sell or coarse kosher salt and toss to blend; let stand 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, oil and herbs to mixture. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired.
- Lightly toast sliced almonds in a saucepan in light butter or oil.
- Add feta cheese and toasted almonds and enjoy!'
It saves well in the fridge for a couple of days. If you are making ahead, you may need to reduce the liquid at the bottom of the bowl before serving.