Facebook post may have cost Salt Lake dog owner $10,000

- SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 Utah) – Some Facebook posts from a Salt Lake dog owner may have cost him $10,000. Police shot and killed his dog last month. They were talking about offering him a settlement, but because of what the dog owner said online, the offer is now off the table.

Dog owner Sean Kendall hasn't held back his frustration recently with Salt Lake police.

"Officer Olsen needs to be terminated," said Sean Kendall during a rally.

Last month a Salt Lake officer looking for a missing child, shot and killed Kendall's three year old Wiemaraner named Geist.

"As I walk to my backdoor I see my dead dog lying on the ground," said Kendall in a YouTube video.

But now his posts to social media may have cost him a $10,000 settlement. Monday night on Facebook Kendall commented:

"SLCPD has offered a generous settlement as compensation for the loss of Geist. However, there has been no disciplinary action taken against Brett Olson or action regarding policy change and training. I believe this is an attempt to placate me and buy me off. I would rather a public apology and non lethal policy change than any amount of money."

What Kendall doesn't mention in the post was that he was the one who originally asked for a settlement, but because of the comment now he may not get it. Police saw the post and withdrew their offer saying in part:

"...Due to Mr. Kendall's premature Facebook posts and desire to negotiate through the press, the police department has ended our attempts to meet his financial demands."

ABC 4 Utah asked Kendall about the post. He said he may have handled the situation poorly.

"Unfortunately my emotions got the best of me and social media is not always the best outlet to voice frustrations," said Kendall during a phone interview.

If you followed Kendall on Facebook on Tuesday, you would also see he changed his mind several times about the settlement. Some of those posts have since been removed. Right now it's unclear whether or not they affected the police department's decision. For now they said they're still investigating what happened.

Follow Brian Carlson on Twitter: @briancarlsontv

More Stories

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center