Make-Ahead Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes, made by Chef Lesli Sommerdorf, is featured in Harmon's new Food For Thought Guide. It's a collection of delicious fall, holiday and dinner recipes.
- 4 1/4 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3/4 c milk, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, plus 4 Tbsp, softened and cut into pieces
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Add the potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 min.
- Transfer potatoes to a colander and drain thoroughly, about 5 min.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, add mascarpone cheese, milk, and egg and stir until well blended.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne and stir to combine.
- In another large bowl, add potatoes, butter, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Mash butter into potatoes with a potato masher until fluffy.
- Add mascarpone mixture and fold to combine.
- Spread mashed potatoes into a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Smooth the top and use the tip of a spatula to lightly press the potatoes and lift up to create little peaks and valleys in the top.
- Bake in oven until potatoes are heated through and top is golden brown, about 20 min.
- Serve or let cool, cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- When ready to eat, pour 1/4 cup milk over potatoes, dollop 4 Tbsp butter on potatoes, cover with foil and heat in a 350° oven for 20 min.
For more recipe ideas, visit www.harmonsgrocery.com