- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp XyloSweet
- 2½ sticks frozen diced Unsalted Butter
- 4-7 Tbsp Ice Water
- 2 organic Granny Smith apples
- 2 organic Golden Delicious apples
- 1 organic Pink Lady apples
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup XyloSweet
- 2 Tbsp gluten free all-purpose baking flour
- 1¼ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp frozen diced unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 2 tsp XyloSweet
Peel and cut up the apples first, put them in a bowl, coat the slices in the lemon juice, XyloSweet, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add flour and mix until all of the apples are well coated. Cover bowl and set aside.
Pie crust dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and XyloSweet.
- Cut in frozen butter until your mixture combines into pea size pieces (resembles a course meal). Add 4 tablespoons cold water in cutting between the first and second stick of butter and continue until well combined. Add more water if dough is a little dry (crumbly) until it's all combined. *Dough should hold together but not be sticky.
- On a well-floured work surface, divide your dough into 2 equal parts. Roll out the first half of the dough into about 1/8 inch thick circle. Fold the dough in half and then into quarters and transfer to a greased pie pan. Unfold and gently press dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- Position a rack in the lower 1/3 of oven, place a baking sheet on rack and preheat to 400 F.
- Roll the other half of the dough to the same thickness. This is the top of your pie to be used after you fill your shell with the apple filling.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and pour your filling into your pie crust. Scatter 1 tablespoon frozen diced unsalted butter on top.
- Top your pie with the remaining dough and use a fork to seal the seams together. Brush the top crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with XyloSweet. Slice four slits in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Cover pie with a sheet of aluminum foil and place on the preheated baking sheet. Bake until crust is golden brown, or about 40 minutes, cover the edges with aluminum foil if they become to dark. Remove foil pie cover in the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour, cut into slices and enjoy!
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.