National Nutrition Month is sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) and takes place each March. This campaign helps to bring awareness to nutrition and Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) who are nutrition professionals with advanced degrees in nutrition. The purpose of National Nutrition Month is to help people learn about making informed food decisions and developing healthy eating and physical activity habits.
The theme for National Nutrition Month 2018 is 'Go Further with Food'. This theme has many talking points, from basic nutrition principles of ChooseMyPlate and meal planning to deeper nutrition information about food waste and sustainability. This year's theme focuses on helping people achieve the benefits that are provided from healthy eating, but also helps bring awareness and action to stop food waste.
Key messages for National Nutrition Month 2018 include:
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Continue to use good food safety practices.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs
Trying to find the perfect gift for that milestone birthday?
Lend a helping hand towards providing someone's next meal.
Winter is still happening in the mountains. Here are kid friendly…