Eleanor Divver, Indoor Radon Coordinator, Utah Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) explains what Radon is, and why you need to test your home.
People may have heard of Radon but may not know much about it. They also may not know that 1 in 3 Utah homes have high levels of radon. Testing your home for Radon is very important because you can’t see, smell or taste it. Radon is a naturally occurring odorless, tasteless gas that comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. Radon gas leaks into your home through basement walls, sump pumps and drains and crawl spaces. Radon is extremely dangerous to your health. It is the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers.
It doesn’t matter new or old, the age of your home isn’t a factor on whether or not you could have high concentrations of radon. It’s also false to assume that if your neighbor tested and their home doesn’t have high levels of radon. The only way to know if you have radon is to test the air in your home. The good news is testing is easy, fast and inexpensive.
Winter is actually the perfect time to check your home because all of the windows and doors are closed. DEQ and the Utah Cancer Control Program are urging everyone to test their home for radon to protect their homes and their families. Testing is the only way to know if your home does not have a radon problem.
Testing kits can be ordered from Radon.utah.gov the cost is $9.
You simply place the test on a table or other flat surface in the basement or lowest level of your home. It collects samples from the surrounding air. You seal the test in the envelope provided and mail it into the lab. The results are mailed back to you in a couple of weeks. If the test comes back that you do have high levels of radon Radon.utah.gov is a resource to find certified radon mitigators to bring your home back to safe levels.
Ways to prepare your home for the cold season.
Hate those spam calls? Us too. Here's what to do about them.
A benefit ball in honor of Hayes Tate.