1. Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
2. Add reflective tape to costumes and bags.
3. Choose face paint and makeup whenever possible instead of masks, which can obstruct vision.
4. Make sure swords, canes, or sticks are short and not sharp.
5. Prepare flashlights with fresh batteries for children and escorts.
6. Examine all treats for choking hazards and signs of tampering. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
7. Walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic.
8. Only visit homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
9. Teach children to call 911 if they have an emergency or become lost.
10. If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you. Agree on a specific time when they should return home.