Mayhew's parents never saw this coming

Mayhew's parents never saw this coming

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - An early morning call was the first time Anthony Mayhew's parents knew he had died.
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – Anthony Mayhew’s parents never saw this coming.

Mayhew was shot and killed by Salt Lake City police Thursday night after he claimed to have a bomb inside his backpack.

The shooting came as police claim Mayhew kept walking towards police with his backpack and refused to stop.

“He always tried to be the A student but he was human a C type student,” Robert Mayhew told ABC 4 News. “Absolutely (that bothered him”.”

In August Anthony Mayhew was featured in a story on ABC 4 News after he filed a civil lawsuit against South Salt Lake police. He claimed it was for a false arrest.

“They made all these allegations against me and nobody believes me,” Mayhew told ABC 4 News in August.

Mayhew had a criminal history going back to 1995.

But a closer look at the charges of hate crimes, burglary, assault and drug possession were either all dismissed or a plea and abeyance was reached. That latter means the charge is dismissed if there’s good behavior.

His father once told him to straighten up or he'd end up dead.

“But he had some mental problems he was trying to deal with,” says his father.

Robert Mayhew says his son got his college degree but couldn't land a job.

And when he did work he got Mayhew says Anthony’s depression caused him to lose his job.

Despite those problems, he says Mayhew never failed to take care of his family.

“He took care of his elderly grandfather for 3 years,” Mayhew says.

Thursday night Mayhew was shot and killed by police after he claimed to have a bomb.

Mayhew who is a truck driver was on the road and never saw the coverage.

“That was complete shock to me,” he says. “I never saw that coming. This was clearly something that Anthony had reached the breaking point.”

Anthony Mayhew lived with his mother.

“He lived in the basement and he kept to himself,” says Shirley Mayhew. “He suffered from mental illness. He got depressed.”

But his mother says he got treatment on and off.

“We didn’t have the money to keep him in treatment,” she says.

Shirley Mayhew received a phone call around 9:30 Thursday night by police.

“They told me he was in a swat situation,” she says.

And when asked if she saw the television news coverage of the standoff she says she didn’t.

“I didn’t have my television on,” she says. “I didn’t know it was on the news.”

Shirley Mayhew says she first learned of his death early Friday morning.

“I’m devastated,” Mayhew says. “I didn’t know he was feeling this way.”

And while both parents grieve for their son Robert Mayhew doesn’t blame police.

“As far as Salt Lake City police department is concerned there is no ill will because they had no idea who he was or what he had in his backpack,” Mayhew says.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus