Logan Man Dies After Being Tased Twice

Logan Man Dies After Being Tased Twice

LOGAN, Utah. (ABC 4 News)- A Logan man died after being tased not once, but twice in one day.

LOGAN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - A Logan man died after being tased not once, but twice in one day.

On Thursday, January 17th, Logan City Police were dispatched to the home of 49-year-old Bruce Neil Thomson who was reportedly screaming about Satan and acting strangely.

His roommate, Mark Thompson, told ABC 4's Kim Johnson that Bruce Thomson had acted strangely before. “He's had that problem before,” said Thompson. Sometimes he starts yelling and saying weird stuff so I guess that's what happened and the neighbors called police.”

Police said the man would not calm down or comply with the officers. Rather, the Thomson reached inside a doorway, stating that he was getting a gun and refusing to show his hands.

Officers used a taser to immobilize the subject and take him safely into custody. Logan City Fire Department Paramedics were on standby and saw to the man’s medical needs. The subject was transported by an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital.

Later, the man calmed down and was interviewed by police. He was cited for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

About three hours later, Logan Police were called back to the hospital, this time because the Thomson was fighting with Hospital Security.

Before the officers arrived, he was tased by Hospital Security. By the time officers arrived on the scene, the subject was in full cardiac arrest and was being attended to by Logan Regional Hospital medical staff.

Although life-saving efforts were desperately made, the attempts to save him were unsuccessful. The man passed away in the hospital.

His roommate said Thomson was suffering from heart issues. “He was going in for open heart surgery again for the second time it was like a triple quadruple bypass,” said Thompson.

Logan Police declined an interview request from ABC 4 News as did Logan Regional Hospital citing patient privacy laws.

Bruce Thomson did not have a violent criminal history, but his roommate tells ABC 4 he did have a history of drug abuse. “He showed me some synthetic heroin that kind of made me nervous one time,” said Thompson. 

But a co-worker doesn't believe Thomson used drugs. "He was a gentle, kind, man," Suzy Swartz wrote in an email to ABC4. "I know Bruce didn't have a drug problem. He was a diligent employee. He passed drug tests with flying
colors here at work."

An investigation is being conducted by the Weber County Attorney's office.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus