CLEARFIELD, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) - A retirement neighborhood in Clearfield is in shock Monday night. Fire destroyed several RVs in their community parking lot and almost burnt down a home.
Thick flames and smoke billowing from Monday's fire in a Clearfield retirement neighborhood aren't something people are used to.
"Incredibly devastating," said Lee Ernstrom, mother-in-law escaped the flames.
"It was a shocker," said one woman.
"Its a disaster, one great big disaster. You don't realize an RV can go up that fast until you see it," said Mike Seach Jr., accidentally started the fire.
Mike Seach tells Reporter Brian Carlson he had trouble starting his RV parked the community spot off 9th South and 16th East. So he and friend decided to pump ether into the carburetor. That sparked the blaze.
"He got in there and said 'Hey Mike I see light back there' and he said, 'Oh my there's a fire," said Seach.
Flames destroyed Seach's RV and those belonging to other neighbors on the block. They just had to watch them burn.
"It was awful, it was awful, we've been many places in that RV, it's been wonderful, we love it. It's gone," said Marie Johnson, RV destroyed by the fire.
Lee Ernstrom said his elderly mother-in-law lives in the home next door. He's grateful neighbors helped her out.
"I just praise God that she got out okay and that all were talking about now is property damage and that's replaceable," said Ernstrom.
Seach tells Carlson he's grateful too.
"I'm happy nobody got burnt or hurt," said Seach.
Follow Brian Carlson on Twitter: @briancarlsontv
Copyright 2013 abc4.com Nexstar Broadcasting, All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.