Sponsored by

Gunfire Kills Couple on I-80, Cause A Mystery So Far

A man and a woman died Friday morning after receiving gunshot wounds to the head, while traveling on Interstate 80 near the Salt Lake International Airport. Initial remarks suggested a murder-suicide, but officials aren't certain yet.
UPDATE- The two people have been identified as Felipe Rodriguez, 37-years old, and Iris Rodriquez, 32-years old. Both were from Salt Lake City.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) -  A man and a woman died Friday morning after receiving gunshot wounds to the head, in what could be a murder-suicide on Interstate 80 near the Salt Lake International Airport, authorities said.

The Utah Highway Patrol discovered an SUV pulled off the eastbound lanes of the freeway, near the Redwood Road exit, at approximately 9:30 a.m. The bodies of both victims were discovered inside. The vehicle was not involved in a crash or collision, officials said.

Investigators don't know exactly what led to the shootings, but they initially said the couple may have died as the result of a murder-suicide. Later, however, the Utah Highway Patrol backed off a bit on that stance.

"We should be conclusive with our evidence before we do that," said UHP spokesperson Cpl. Todd Johnson, when asked about the new hesitation to call it a murder-suicide.

The silver Toyota SUV appeared to have Utah license plates, suggesting that the couple lived in Utah. Cpl. Johnson said investigators were searching for clues inside the vehicle, but found nothing conclusive -- at least initially -- to explain exactly what occurred.

According to the Deseret News, the Utah Highway Patrol earlier said it appeared that the female driver was shot by the male passenger as the vehicle exited the freeway at Redwood Road, and continued to veer off the road. Officials said it looks like the passenger then shot himself.

Eastbound traffic was impacted as officials shut down the Redwood Road exit, as well as the I-215 westbound exit to eastbound I-80. The closures were expected to last until mid-afternoon Friday, officials said.

Authorities have notified next of kin but are not releasing the name of the two people.  They do say the man is 37-years old and the woman was 32-years old.  UHP also says both died of gunshot wounds.

- LIVE traffic cameras and information (Utah Dept. of Transportation)
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
cars.png dixie-local.jpg

Top Stories

Popular Stories on Facebook