Makes 4-6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
5 cups water
2½ tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
or 5 tsp chicken bouillon granules
½ cup long-grain brown rice
or ½ cup pearl barley
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
3 egg yolks
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with lemon zest and/or slices
1. Add water, bouillon, rice (or barley) and parsley into slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours (or until rice is cooked through).
3. Turn slow cooker to LOW.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Add a ladle-ful of soup into the eggs yolks. Whisk some more. Add all back into the slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for another 10 minutes.
6. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with lemon slices or lemon zest.