Makes 4-6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart
2 lbs chuck roast cut into ½" filets
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Warmed pita folds
Sliced tomatoes and lettuce, for serving
1. Heat 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet while slicing the beef. Pat beef dry with paper towels to remove any moisture.
2. When oil is warmed add beef to skillet being careful to place in one row only.
3. Brown beef for about 7 minutes on each side. Drain off any excess liquid. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
4. While beef is browning combine ¼ cup olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour over the meat and toss to coat, in the slow cooker. Toss in the sliced onions.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours (depending on your slow cooker) or until beef is extremely tender. (If it's not tender, it's not done yet).
6. Remove lid and salt and pepper to taste. If desired, break up the meat into smaller bite-size pieces.
7. Serve beef over pita folds with Tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup diced cucumber, seeded & shredded
1 Tbsp dried dill or 2 Tbsp fresh dill
¼ tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
1. Combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt and garlic in medium bowl. Stir until creamy and combined.
2. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with gyros.