On December 10th a little Chihuahua dog was a welcome visitor in Tonya Ostrander's home. She was looking to get a dog for her daughter who is legally blind.
“Snowy was sleeping with my daughter. It's what she always does,” said Tony Ostrander.
That's right the dog's name is Snowy and Tonya and her daughter Chahela say it's bark saved their lives.
“About 2:30 in the morning she starts barking and barking and barking. Woke us both up,” said Ostrander.
They both felt sick with the same symptoms and knew something was terribly wrong.
“We kind of felt that we needed to hurry and get to the hospital and we were taken there and they discovered that we had carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Ostrander.
They tell ABC 4 News their levels were high but it was caught in time.
“If she hadn't had woken us up then things would have been real bad. We could have just slept right through it and maybe died,” said Ostrander.
This act of saving their lives was enough to convince them. Snowy has to be around for a long time.
“After what she did for us we went on December 14 and adopted her permanently,” said Ostrander.
Snowy is a constant companion and protector for Chahela.
“And there has just been an instant bond between the two of them,” said Ostrander.
The landlord of their apartment didn't find any carbon monoxide leaks but they now have Carbon Monoxide alarms monitoring the levels inside.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.